Home of The Little Massage Clinic, Caring for you, your family & your planet
TLC IN A COLUMN
Seasons Greetings to you all!
I love this time of year;
..I'M DREAMING OF A GREEN CHRISTMAS
A long time ago, in the deep, deep snow, we celebrated mid winter to cheer us on to the spring. Winter Solstice, the shortest day was out & now the days get lighter again, bringing the hope of spring on the wind.
We still use holly & ivy to bring something living & green into our homes; to welcome the New Year, in a season where most plants are dormant. Traditionally, I am told, the Cornish brought in a branch of holly rather than have a fir tree. Holly trees grow happily & wildly in Cornwall. Whether this is related to more pagan traditions is anyone's guess. Can anyone enlighten me?
..and talking of green, here are some tips on how to make your Xmas a greener one...
The most eco thing anyone can do is to buy local and organic, to reduce air miles & boost the local economy. So whether you are thinking of gifts, food, boozey-dooze or decorations, there is so much we can do..
-Promote the buying of traditional Cornish Christmas trees (A holly bush) that can be planted in the garden to promote bio-diversity and make a pro-active contribution in the fight against climate change. From Falmouth Green Centre - www.fgc.org.uk
-if you have an artificial tree, use it until it expires. If not, a pot grown tree is the best option as you can use it year after year. Trees transplanted into containers, as opposed to pot grown, don't tend to last more than a season so ask if it is pot grown & check for standards such as BGTSA, Soil Association & FSA. Or even better use your imagination & get the kids making their own array of branches & decorations for a festive centrepiece with a difference. Pot grown trees don't moult if you keep them watered well, saving energy & time vacuuming up the pesky pine needles!
- sponsor a tree for someone as a gift at: www.woodlandcreation.co.uk or a whole acre of rain forest (or other habitat in need of protection) from the World Land Trust? See www.worldlandtrust.org ..... if you're looking for ideas outside Cornwall. These guys a re trying to encourage people to buy a metre of footpath restoration, hedge laying, etc in Cumbria this Christmas!
- Greenhouse, (Lemon Street Market, Lemon Street, Truro TR1 2PN Tel 01872 242600 www.greenhouseonline.co.uk ) sell products made from recycled materials, many suitable for Christmas gifts, & why not hit 2 birds with 1 stone & while you're there visit Quintessential - 14 Kenwyn Street, Truro. which sells loads of eco, ethical products... for all the family...gifts, clothes, music etc...
-..& Lauren's Toy Box in Pydar Mews, Truro is a magical, miniature wonderland of wooden toys for all ages..including myself. The shop assistant was lovely & she gives you permission to touch the toys..she positively encouraged us. The beauty of this is the toys are sustainable.so much better than plastic, & it gives you a chance to let you see which toys your child likes best...we all liked the noisy ones best! The shop assistant said that it is strange, but children who come in & play always treat the toys with such respect unlike when they attack the plastic stuff in Woollies or Tesco's. I wonder how they know? Anyway if you prefer internet shopping, so long as you order by 14 th December you can shop online with their sister company www.holz-toys.co.uk
-Go for a walk down the line a bit & & combine it with a visit to a gallery run by Allie in St Just that specialises in surf and ocean inspired art and craft. 90 % of products are eco friendly as they are made from recycled, reclaimed or fair trade materials, inc Driftwood furniture , Papier mache clocks and sea glass and recycled glass jewellery. The gallery is as green as possible with newspaper carriers and degradable plastics where necessary. All products are ideal for pressies and affordable too. For more info either email email@example.com or call 078 33114414.
- Moresi is a new range of bespoke jewellery and accessories created with glass beads and different kinds of shell, all handmade in Cornwall, and inspired by the sea. Moresi jewellery is available through mail order, at www.moresi.co.uk Contact; Sarah Pascoe, Tel : 07895 589539 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dan makes Hotpod stoves, made from recycled gas bottles and VW engine parts. He also makes recycled clocks, and candlesticks you can see them on his website http://www.hotcreations.co.uk
- Tristan makes a range of products from local Oak or sustainably sourced Pine. Designed and made in house, everything is geared around an eco-friendly approach, from construction to packaging. For a range of products from Wellington boot racks to bespoke furniture, picture frames to tables visit www.alternature.biz
- For amazing Vegan fruit-chocolate truffles, made with nothing but fruit and chocolate - dark and delicious and a brilliant Christmas present, packed in a biodegradable box and handmade by Patricia in small batches, at her shop "Words: the coffee shop" in Penryn. Enquiries to: Patricia, Words: the coffee shop, 33A Higher Market Street, Penryn TR10 8EQ
-Remember, I offer beautiful handmade health & beauty products which can be eco wrapped & presented in a lovely wooden reusable box.
-Buy an experience your loved one will remember...at The Little Massage Clinic at Half Moon or The Penventon Hotel. We sell Gift Vouchers for a number of different specialist massages, organic gourmet facials or body bliss treatments. You can now also buy Gift Vouchers online at www.lifenlimb.co.uk where you can pay by credit/debit card or Paypal...& Hifumi is selling Gift Vouchers for her exclusive hairstyling & treatments too, as well as a variety of art & crafts, pottery, jewellery, art...all available from Half Moon.
-use eco wrapping paper...I use white tissue paper tied up with string or strips of Cornish Palm (looks v classy!)..you can add a little Xmas tingle with the odd ivy leaf which isn't an endangered plant, & get the kids to add their own personal touches of colour with pencils & crayons
-Organic award winning produce is available at Cusgarne Organic Farm, Tel: 01872 865922. Fruit & veggie boxes are available as well as traditional meat cuts, & their very own spicy sausages using their own organic garlic, onions and peppers. Rice flakes take the place of rusk, so they are gluten free. Cusgarne can also supply packs for your freezer and cater for special orders.
-www.riverford.co.uk also supply wonderful fruit & veggie boxes. You could sign up to a regular order or pay for a box as a gift for a loved one. I know I always appreciate the organic goody box my partner's mum makes up for us each Christmas...you could make your own..Rob's mum buys dried goods & natural soaps etc throughout the year to spread the cost, & tops it up with fresh stuff for when we visit...it has been a lifesaver in the lean period after Christmas.
Visit your local farmers market..there's one every Tuesday morning at Illogan church hall.
Choose an organic Turkey or Goose, they will have been reared & killed humanely.the least we could offer them if we are privileged enough for them to end up on our plates.
How about visiting the fruit & veg shops in St Agnes, or your local farm shop who stock locally sourced produce...the farm shop at Four Lanes sells quality goodness, ales, wines & cider.
Opt for European grown nuts this year like walnuts, almonds, sweet chestnuts & hazelnuts.
-make your own table decorations..an orange studded with cloves with a hole scooped out on top for a candle or tealite makes a lovely table centrepiece with ivy trailing around ..or ivy stems make a lovely classic centrepiece when arranged in a favourite vase or container. Deck your halls with ivy & ribbons or rags, & leave the holly for the birds
THE CHRISTMAS DO
How about a trip to one of the following:
The Greenhouse, The Square, High Street, St Keverne Tel: 01326 280800, where the locally sourced food is divine, the wine superfine & the hospitality warm & welcoming.
Miss Peapod's, Jubilee Wharf Penryn, Tel: 01326 374424, where they warmly welcome you & children with their kiddie corner, friendly staff, lovely organic local food & tasty ales, ciders & wines from Cornwall
The Organic Kitchen, Four Lanes part of the organic farm shop now offers evening meals..
...& for the attire why not buy organic, second hand or go fancy dress...making a day out with friends & family to car boot sales & second hand shops as you weave together a fun outfit for your Xmas or new year party can be a scream.
A lot of tradition of Xmas past is wrapped up in the Xmas present to ensure that Xmas future doesn't end up as merely a ghost. It's amazing at what some imagination, goodwill & generous dose of Green Fairy magic can do to really give you a Xmas tingle down your spine..I think the best present will be that we can enjoy many more Christmases on our beautiful planet, by doing a little more every day..
...Whatever you believe in, whether it be Christmas, Winter Solstice, Santa or fairies, have great fun & happy holiday,
With lashings of love..yup, I gone gooey.to one & all
Nicolle Mitchell I.T.E.C., CThA
Holistic Health Therapist & Practice Manager
THE LITTLE MASSAGE CLINIC
THE PENVENTON HOTEL & HALF MOON SALON
TEL: 01209 203230 OR 711686
DISCLAIMER: we do not diagnose or guarantee cures. We aim to help people make informed choices about their health. Any changes in lifestyle, diet, medication, supplementation or remedies, should be taken with your GP's or health professional's support.