Home of The Little Massage Clinic, Caring for you, your family & your planet
HEALTH INFO - Cholesterol
1. Define: cholesterol ..is a fatty waxy substance that occurs in all animal tissues. It is produced in the liver, & although is included in our diet, is not necessary. It is a component of bile, carried in the blood by lipoproteins.
High density lipoprotein .or HDL, which is "good". It is a transporter which removes cholesterol from vulnerable areas, taking it back to the liver for recycling & disposal. Fibre aids this process.
Low density lipoprotein .or LDL, which is "bad". It is a transporter that delivers cholesterol throughout the body to where it is required. It is not controlled & excess can build up causing artherosclerosis foe example.
2. The function & sources of cholesterol:
Cholesterol is made in the liver, or provided in our diet.
helps synthesise: -vitamin D in the skin
3. Which foods are high in cholesterol?
4. Factors affecting cholesterol levels:
5. Medical conditions resulting from high cholesterol:
6. Dietary measures to reduce cholesterol:
high cholesterol foods
Foods suitable & unsuitable when planning a diet for someone with high cholesterol levels:
The advice included on this site is not meant to replace any medicine or treatment you are receiving through your doctor, if you have any queries or concerns including compatibility with current treatment/medication, please contact us or speak to your GP